Group Leader and Chaperone Guidelines
We want you and your group to have fun and be safe! Please help us continue to offer this program by reviewing these rules with the adult chaperones in your group. Provide each of them with a copy of these guidelines.
Please note, the chaperone policy requires a 6 to 1 ratio, a minimum of one designated chaperone for every 6 minors under the age of 18 aboard the train.
Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL prior to leaving for the train station to make sure your train is on schedule.
Plan to arrive at the train station at least 30 minutes before your scheduled train departure. Your group will need to be ready to board as soon as the train pulls into the station. Some station stops are as little as two minutes. The trains cannot wait for late arriving groups or individuals.
- Present your ticket to the station staff or conductor.
- At staffed stations, identify yourself to the station staff to confirm boarding instructions.
- Identify your group to the conductor and follow their seating instructions. During your trip, feel free to contact onboard personnel for assistance.
- Group leaders and designated chaperones are responsible for the conduct and supervision of their group at all times during the field trip.
- Please remind your students to be considerate of the other passengers. Amtrak personnel cannot assist in the supervision of your group.
- Please use the trash and recycle bins and keep the area around your group clean and free of debris.
- When your group exits the train, follow the conductor's instructions.
- Appoint one or two people to follow behind the group to check the seating areas and overhead bins for any items that may have been left behind.